Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Stocking Up on Gift Odds & Ends


I was out running errands with my sister over the weekend and we ended up at Home Goods and A.C. Moore. Of course, what happened is what always happens when we shop together: my sister and I buy a bunch of things we have no use for at the current moment, but are just too cute to pass up. I walked out of Home Goods with three packages of adorable and festive cocktail napkins, a bunch of different cards plus some wrapping paper and gift giving supplies.


I used to think my little shopping sprees for random gift and party items were a waste of money, but you know what? Whenever I need a card or hostess gift in a pinch, I head over to my chest of supplies (yes, I have a whole chest for these things!) and pull out what I need. I never have to run out and get wrapping paper or a worry about not having a "get well soon card". When I see something I like, I pick it up, and it get's used eventually. Plus, it's not like it's perishable. 


I developed this need to have all these types of items on hand from my mother. Growing up, she always had the best collection of cards, gift wrap and little gifts like pretty scented candles or a good bottle of wine, just in case she needed something last minute. She is the only woman I know that purchases greeting cards 10 to 20 at a time (no joke!). 


These are the items that I regularly stock up on when I see something I like, or I know I will use:

Greeting Cards (especially the handmade ones)
Wrapping Paper
Scented Candles
Bottles of Wine
Ribbon and Bows
Tissue Paper
Gift Bags
Thank You Notes
Cocktail Napkins
Delicate Soaps

I find all of these items to be especially good to have around during the holidays. You go to so many parties and it's nice to have a bunch of things on hand if you need to pull together a little gift at the last minute.


Does anyone else stock up on gift odds and ends like I do? Tell me what your must-haves are. 



1/2/3/4/5

1 comment: