Monday, May 13, 2013

Mother's Day Lunch Desserts

I was over at my grand parents house yesterday afternoon to celebrate Mother's Day and we had some amazing desserts. My aunt, Didi, is an amazing baker and she made all of the desserts at the lunch.

I can't disclose the recipes (those are family secrets!), but I wanted to share some pictures.

Vanilla Coconut Cake

Chocolate Cake with a Light Buttercream Frosting

Perfectly Sweet Sweet Bread

My aunt makes this ahead of time and freezes it because it's a great time saver. The key is to "refresh" the bread on the day you are serving it. Just pop it in the oven and warm it up again, and it's like yo never froze it.

The White Cookies

These are my favorite childhood cookies. They are similar to the classic Italian cookies that have a licorice flavor from anise oil, but my grandmother's recipe skips the anise oil and used a combination of orange and lemon extract. They have a much lighter flavor and I prefer these, especially for a party, because a lot of people are not fond of the licorice flavor.

Did anyone else do anything special for Mother's Day? Any great baked goods worth sharing?

No comments:

Post a Comment