Thursday, April 25, 2013

Personalized Stationery for the Novice


If you saw yesterdays post on stylish calling cards, you have figured out that I am on a bit of a stationery kick. I am a big fan of hand written correspondence and I love beautifully designed stationery. I am in the process of redesigning my own personal stationery stash so the topic is on my mind more than usual.

When I first looked into personalized notes, letter sheets and envelopes many years ago, I really had no idea what I was doing. I ended up getting help from my Mom and getting tips from Crane and Emily Post to figure out what all the terms meant and what was appropriate to order. I figure now is as good a time as any to do a post on the different types of stationery, printing styles and common terms. 



Basic Pieces of a Stationery Wardrobe 

Correspondence Cards
A flat card meant for thank you notes or short correspondence.

Note Cards
Similar to a flat correspondent card, but it folded over and your write inside it.

Letter Sheets
Meant for letters and any correspondence that won't fit on a note or correspondence card.

Calling Cards
Similar to a business card but used only on social situations. Includes your personal contact information rather than your business contact information.

Note Pads
Used for household notes and lists, or a very informal social note that is attached to something else.

Making it Personal

You can personalize your stationery in all kinds of ways, but these are the most common:

Full Name

First Name

Single Monogram

Triple Monogram

Motif or Design

Paper Thickness

All paper, no matter what it us used for has a thickness to it. Good quality paper used for stationery is usually on the heavier side, but you can find less expensive stationery that made with lighter paper. The thicker the paper, the higher the quality.

  The ranges in thickness are light, medium, heavy and very heavy. 

Paper Color

Any color can be used for stationery, but the two most popular and classic colors are white and ecru.

Example of ecru colored paper.

Envelope Liners & Addresses


An envelope liner is exactly what it sounds like, the lining of an envelope. You don't have to have a liner, and if you do with out one you will save money. That being said, it's a fun way to personalize your stationery and there are a variety of options to choose from.

Some people choose to hand write their return address or use customized stamps or stickers. Another option is to have the stationery company print your home address to each of the envelopes that come with your customized stationery. It is an added expense, but I think it's a nice touch.

Types of Printing

OK, so I am not an expert on the types of printing. I know the differences of each, but I am going to let the experts at Crane get into the finer points. They have a fantastic section on their website called etiquette that really gets into the details of the technical side of printing. Enjoy!

Well that is my stationery primer. I hope you find it helpful. There is all kinds of helpful information out their when it comes to stationery etiquette and design. I highly recommend the Blue Book of Stationery and the Emily Post Institute








Top Image via Dempsey & Carroll. All other images via Fine Stationery.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this, it's exactly what I am looking for as I am interested in creating personalised stationery.

    ReplyDelete