Friday, August 9, 2013

Room of the Week: A Reclaimed Wood Kitchen


Design and Photograph from Reclaimed Design Works via Rue Daily

I stumbled across this kitchen when I was reading one of my favorite blogs, Rue Daily. They had featured Reclaimed Design Works in a post on using reclaimed wood for construction and remodels, which is great because it is environmentally-friendly and takes away that "new house" look that so many of us try to avoid.

To be honest, I didn't even realize that the kitchen was made up of reclaimed wood until I went back to the article to use the photo for this post. I had pinned it and saved it to my Kitchen's Board because I thought the layout was fantastic. The fact that it's also environmentally friendly is a lovely added bonus. 

I love that there is a big open space within the room for a large breakfast table or maybe even a small sitting area. Elements like that are what make a kitchen the heart of the home where everyone gathers. Growing up, we had a breakfast table in my kitchen and my siblings and I would be gathered around it waiting for the next batch of pancakes my Mom was cooking up at the stove. This kitchen has a similar feel to it, but with even more storage and counter space than my Mom's. 

Has anyone used reclaimed wood for building or remodeling their home? I would love to hear your thoughts on it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment