Monday, April 14, 2014

SoulCycle at Chestnut Hill Square


A couple of week's ago I had the opportunity to take a spinning class at the newly-opened SoulCycle in Chestnut Hill. I had never done anything like spinning before, but I was thrilled to have the opportunity to check out the space. SoulCycle has quite the cult following in NYC and, despite my aversion to exercise, I was very curious to see what it was all about. 


I felt right at home when I walked in because they have a mini boutique to the right of the desk that sells SoulCycle gear. Nothing like shopping to get rid of my pre-exercise nerves! I guess it's true when they say that SoulCycle is more like a lifestyle instead of a gym. The clothes are very cute and perfect for those of us who like to look good while we sweat. No baggy sweats and ripped t-shirts here. 



They even have special edition SoulCycle candles from Jonathan Adler. I meant to open one up to see what the scent was like, but I got distracted with the requisite new member forms. 


I arrived early so that I could poke around the space before the class started. After filling out my new member forms I was given my spinning shoes (I wasn't expecting that!) and a complimentary bottle of Smart Water. With shoes and water in hand, I wandered over to the locker area.


The entire space is mostly white with yellow and grey accents. I found everything to feel super clean and incredibly calming, which is a nice change from most gyms.


The bike shoes took some getting use to but they make the spinning experience much easier, as you avoid losing your footing when your buckled into the bike. Don't worry if you have trouble getting your feet locked into position, staff members come around and help you settle in and make sure your seat is adjusted to your leg length.


Locked in and ready to go! I will be the first to admit that I'm not known for my athletic ability, but I'll try anything once, especially when I can share my experience with all of you.

Our instructor for the class was Todd. He was incredibly friendly and walked us bloggers through the entire spinning process. The room is dark with the exception of several candles placed on the elevated platform where Todd's bike sat. I found the darkness to be both calming and reassuring. If you're one of those people that feels self conscious while working out, this place is for you.

We started off with a nice warm up before kicking into high gear. I spent the majority of the class with my butt off of the seat, which takes some getting use to if you have never taken a spinning class before. Todd told us before we started that it was fine if we needed to sit down in the seat for a minute to rest our legs, so there wasn't any pressure.

One major complaint that people have about spinning is the lack of upper body work, but at SoulCycle they incorporate small free weights into the class so that your arms get some work, too. Another bonus? All the up and down movement on the bike makes for great core exercise. Todd mentioned that regular riders that hold their core tight while they spin no longer have to do crunches or sit-ups. Talk about motivation to suck your tummy in!

We finished the class with a cool down and then a series of stretches, which I think is great. Let's face it, most of us don't stretch after a cardio workout because we don't think we need it. Having the stretches built into the class just makes things that more well-rounded.

I think the lack of pressure was my favorite thing about the class. Todd was encouraging us to challenge ourselves instead of making it about competing with one another, which is something I wish I saw more of in group exercise classes. The overall vibe at SoulCycle is about feeling good about yourself after the workout and leaving in a better state than when you arrived. No wonder they have such a following. It works!


When it comes to cleanliness, SoulCycle nails it. They have a staff of four cleaners working constantly to keep things spic n' span. Each spin studio, individual bike and bathroom is cleaned after each class so that everything is fresh for the next group.


The individual showers are separate from the bathrooms and are also cleaned after each use. One of the staff members was kind enough to let me take a peek at the facilities after he was finished cleaning them. Each shower area has everything that you would need, so you don't gave to tote all your products from home.


Each shower is stocked with shampoo, conditioner, body wash, face wash, razors, and shaving cream. They also have moisturizer, mouth wash, and band aids if you nick yourself while shaving, which I thought was a nice touch. 


Another shower bonus? A real hair dryer instead of those dinky ones that are attached to the walls. And if you're wondering, yes those are hair dryer attachments in the middle container.



I really enjoyed my class at SoulCycle and highly recommend it to those that enjoy spinning or are looking for a more well-rounded cardio experience. The workout was fantastic and so was the self esteem boost. No matter your athletic ability or endurance, every rider walks out of SoulCycle feeling better about themselves and what they've accomplished.

You can become a SoulCycle member and sign up for classes here. Just an FYI, classes fill up quick, so plan ahead and sign up early.

A special thanks to Boston Bloggers who were kind enough to organize this special class for us.


Full Disclosure: The class was complimentary but all opinions are my own.


No comments:

Post a Comment