Monday, March 10, 2014

Shopping Locally with Boutikey & Pretty Reckless


A couple of weeks ago I was contacted by a local Boston company that recently launched a shopping app called Boutikey. Being the shopaholic that I am, I jumped at the chance to review the app for two reasons: one, it gives me discounts when I shop, and two, it helps connect local buyers to local retailers.

  The app is designed to make shopping at your favorite local boutiques and shops easier and more rewarding (literally!). 

Once you've download the free app you can create a profile and start following your favorite local boutiques. Following a boutique allows you to receive updates in your Boutikey feed on what's happening at the store and what new items are coming in. If you see something you like, you can save it to your Boutikey closet and ask about the item when you visit the store. It's similar to pinning something to a "wish list" board on Pinterest. 



The app also allows you to view special offers and discounts at each store. Some are general things like sale announcements and events, but you can also get additional discounts for using the Bouitkey app. 


You can find participating local boutiques by name or by your current location, which I love. You can't beat being able to find the nearest chic boutique in an unfamiliar neighborhood. If your favorite Boston boutique isn't on the list, shoot them an email at info@boutikey.com and let them know the name of it because they're adding new stores all the time.


The best part about this app is the rewards program. Each time you shop at a participating Boutikey store you start accruing dollar rewards with them. For example, at Mint Julep you receive 20% off one item for every $200 spent. Not bad, right? If you're a regular Mint Julep shopper, those rewards will add up quick.

Testing It Out

You can't fully review a shopping app without some actual shopping, so over the weekend I ventured out of my shopping comfort zone and headed to Southie to visit Pretty Reckless, a new boutique on East Broadway. The boutique is owned by two sisters, Jaimie and Jess, who wanted their shop to represent both of their styles. Jaimie is all about the girly and pretty, while Jess prefers an edgier look. Put the two together and you've got Pretty Reckless.

They have a beautifully curated shop and a great mix of high and low priced pieces, which is always nice to see. When I visited the store on Saturday they had tons of great looks for spring, as well a nice sale rack with some late winter and transitional pieces, which is perfect considering the spring we're having here in Boston.


Along with great clothes and accessories, Pretty Reckless has a really welcoming neighborhood vibe. People kept popping in to say hello, ask about new items and see what's going on at the store, which is exactly what you want in a local store.



Along with clothes, they have a great selection of accessories including jewelry, bags and scarves. These floral headbands are perfect for the boho girl.



Jaimie was wearing one of these American flag scarves with a chambray shirt when I visited the store and it looked adorable.


Great pop of color for the spring.






A retail expedition isn't complete without trying on a couple of outfits. This cute top was super soft and very comfy. I could wear this hanging around the house or dress it up with some jewelry, heels and skinny jeans. The pants are also from Pretty Reckless. They're black denim with a leather stripe down the side.


If you're into rompers and jumpsuits, this store is for you. They had some great rompers and jumpsuits that are perfect for the summer, including this navy one. This could also work for cooler weather if you paired it with tights and a little jacket.


This green dress immediately caught my eye because this shade of green is perfect for my pale skin tone. If only I had a place to wear it.


I ended up scooping up two adorable bow belts in black and beige (I'm wearing the beige one with the navy romper) and a great sequin shift dress that was on sale for 30% off. All in all, a very good shopping trip. 

When it was time to check out, I handed my phone to Jaime and she added my dollars spent to my Boutikey account. I'm a mere $44 away from 10% off one item from Pretty Reckless. Not bad!



Overall, I think the Boutikey app is great for both local shoppers and local businesses because they help make shopping locally easier and more rewarding. I'll definitely continue to use it to earn rewards and keep up with the happenings at my favorite local boutiques.

iPhone users can download the free app here. The app is coming soon to for Android phones so stay tuned!


Full Disclosure: I did not receive any monetary compensation to review the app and all opinions are my own. I also paid for my entire purchase at Pretty Reckless.


No comments:

Post a Comment