Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Preppy Food: Good or Bad


I have always been an admirer of the "preppy look" because it's a style that always looks good no matter who you are or where you are. It's not about being super trendy, it's about looking attractive and appropriate, which in my mind doesn't happen enough these days.


Unfortunately, I have not always been a fan of "preppy" or "waspy" food. When I think of typical preppy food and entertaining all that comes to mind is Ritz crackers with a block of cheddar cheese, soggy tea sandwiches and liquor that comes in a plastic bottle. Not exactly my form of entertaining.


Preppy food has been on my mind lately because I recently came across a new cookbook that peaked my interest. The Preppy Cookbook by Christine E. Nunn came out late last summer and it kept popping up on my Amazon page when I looked at books relating to preppy clothing.





Since this book just wouldn't go away, I decided to bite the bullet and check it out. I had my local library track down a copy of it and I'm going to pick it up after work and find out once and for all what preppy food is all about. The author is an award-winning chef and the former owner of a popular restaurant so I am actually looking forward to checking out her recipes.


I actually got a look a the table of contents and some of the stuff sounded appealing (Frozen Grasshopper Pie, Lobster Rolls) and others not so much (Student's Ragout, Creamed Chipped Beef). I will definitely report back on my findings and share any of the recipes that I like here on the blog.


Wish me luck!


P.S. If you're interested in another take on preppy food, check out The Wasp Cookbook by Alexandra Wentworth. I've never read it but it has a five star rating, so it must be an entertaining read at the very least.




No comments:

Post a Comment