Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Get the Look: Separates for Evening




I have a gala to attend this Saturday evening in Boston where I will technically be on duty as I help a client navigate the scene and promote their business. I'm actually really looking forward to it but what I'm not looking forward to is getting dressed for it. The dress code is a cross between black tie and cocktail and, for some reason, I have zero desire to wear a dress. 

As I went back and forth about what to wear, I started thinking about what non-dress outfits I would be able to get away with. I contemplated a feminine tuxedo a la Gwyneth Paltrow at a recent amfAR benefit but decided against it because I don't have the time to buy the suit and tailor it to fit. But I did like the idea of separates. 

The thing about separates for evening is that they are easy to put together and mix and match, but they can age you if you're not careful. If you don't know what I mean, just Google mother of the bride outfits. 

One evening separates look that I have always liked is a crisp white shirt paired with a classic black ball gown-like skirt. The skirt stays within the black tie parameter and the white button down adds a youthful, modern feel to the overall look. I don't know about you, but I'm completely sold on this idea! I already have the white shirt, pumps, bag and shoes, so all I need is to find myself a skirt. 

I found tons of other great tops and skirts that you can mix and match for the holiday season. Keep reading to see my favorites. 



No comments:

Post a Comment