Friday, December 13, 2013

Tis the Season for Christmas Cookies

Besides the scent of Christmas trees, nothing says "Holiday Season" like the smell of freshly baked cookies. These are the cookie recipes on my baking list this season.

Lizer Cookies from Southern Living

My Mom made these a lot during the holiday season when I was a little girl. My jam of choice is always raspberry.


Peppermint Macarons from Anna and Blue Paperie

These cookies are beautiful, but time consuming to make, so don't try to whip these up at the last minute.


Glitter Ball Cookies from Martha Stewart


These are perfect for a holiday party because you can match the colors to your holiday decor. 


Noel Nut Balls from Martha Stewart

These remind me of Italian wedding cookies, which I love to enjoy all year round.


Gingerbread from Sarabeth's

Gingerbread are practically the "official cookie" of the holiday season. I love this recipe from famed New York restaurant and bakery Sarabeth's.


German Spice Cookies (Pfeffernüsse) from Saveur

Some people find these to be almost too spicy, but I love them with a hot cup of tea.


Hungarian Shortbread from Saveur

I automatically associate these with Christmas because my Aunt Didi sends me home with a tin of them every Christmas Eve.


Sugar Cookies from Add a Pinch

A basic sugar cookie with hefty helpings of frosting and sprinkles is always a solid move for kids at holiday get-together's.



Now, this is a long list of cookies to bake, and most people don't have time to make them all. A great way to enjoy all the cookies of the season is to organize a good old fashioned cookie swap, where each person brings two dozen of one or two types of cookies and shares them with the group. This way, everyone can bring home a bunch of different cookies to enjoy during the holiday season.


No comments:

Post a Comment